Search This Blog

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Things I learned as a barista...

Good morning! At least it's morning time at the time of this post. 6 am to be exact. My morning actually began a few hours ago, at 4 am. Nope I'm not a newspaper delivery girl, a baker or a fitness guru. I'm not even a barista. I'm a mom! I do miss my days opening at the coffee shop...now. When I worked them all the time, the excitment was way more delayed. I had to give myself until the 7 am rush to feel excited about morning coffee customers. While I will be returning for a day or two a week at the shop, being a morning barista for the years I was prior to pregnancy really helped prepare me for work at the ungodly hour. And as a barista you have to sound, look and be awake for your customers. It's like a rite of passage as a barista if you can make y our customers morning with your smile, your joke and your amazing cup of joe you hand to them non their way to starting their morning. I have my moments when I really miss those times. And mornings like today when, despite sleep deprivation, I am grateful to be a mommy. It's now 6:23 am. I have already played with my darling little girl, taken video of her giggles, washed my breast pump parts, downed a piece of cold pizza and a glass full of water (I had to enjoy my hands free moment for breakfast), changed her diaper and attempted writing this blog in segments in the middle of it all. Oh yeah and she is in my arms while I type. We're bouncing and she's cooing. Multi tasking. It looks similar to being the opener at a coffee shop...but I only have one customer. She's 10 weeks old and she is on her first vacation to the beach to see her Sittee and Jidu. It's 6:29 am. And...it's 6:52 am and after I published this post, I find myself sitting down, baby in arms. She is eating...again. Oh wait, she just passed out! Why is she so cute?! And at 6:58 am, I am turning off the alarm I had previously set for 7 am in the hopes that she would sleep longer. Now Im ready for my morning rush: attempt to lay her down and attempt to shower and pump for the new day! It's 7 am.

No comments: